Ashtanga Yoga Crete Retreat
‘Waking Up To Life’
a 7 day Ashtanga yoga and mindfulness retreat
Tertsa Yoga Retreat Centre,
2nd July – 9th July, 2023
Price: 900 euros (early bird before 15th May 2023)
In the beautiful surroundings of southern Crete we will lean into the combined practices of Ashtanga yoga and mindfulness. We will see how the waking up that these practices offer can happen now, in this time, and not some far off place in the future…
What you will gain from the retreat:
Over the retreat you will be led toward an understanding of your personal yogic process and how it pertains to your life. We will see that yoga is a myriad of teachings and practices but at its base it is reflected in the mind, the breath, the body and language. It also relates directly and significantly to our own life and grows out of relationship in all their forms.
Seeing how all these connect together you will receive a sense of what it means to wake up, in your life, through the practice of yoga.
The retreat will include:
- Ashtanga yoga – Self practice and guided classes
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Pranayama/breathing techniques
- Yoga Philosophy
- Movement technique.
The retreat format:
Morning classes: 3 Hours x 6 morning classes
There will be instruction and guidance in:
- pranayama/breathing exercises
- ashtanga yoga guided and self practice classes
Over the 6 days this will evolve into a fluid experience so that the last day blends from one practice into another.
Afternoon sessions (Technique and Philosophy): 2.5 Hours x 3 afternoon classes
- The Movement principles of Surya Namaskar
- Weight dynamics in standing postures
- Shoulder and hip alignment.
- Breath, Banda through the whole body. How to practice safely in all areas of asana, with awareness.
Over the afternoons we will unpack how:
- The first 3 sutras of Patanjali and awareness of the four foundations of mindfulness show us the pathway of contemplation and awakening.
- How the philosophy of classical yoga and the dharma gibe us ways to interact with the world.
- The 5 Kleshas are what stops us from seeing clearly.
- The Ashtanga yoga eight limbed path is the method that unveils wisdom in our life time.
- We will be left with how to see our yoga practice through the lens of sutra 1.20 and then see that we are practically almost there, through Mukunda Stiles translation of 1.21.
About Ashtanga Yoga Crete retreat centre in Tertsa
Tertsa is a tiny village hidden in a beach-side valley on the island of Crete. It is a haven for those that seek true retreat from the fast paced modern world.
Off the usual tourist trail, Tertsa’s lush valley and beachfront location offer the best of Crete; living in harmony with nature, generous hospitality, a slow paced lifestyle and the shining Mediterranean sea. Located on the Southeastern Coast of the island, the surrounding Dikti mountain range shelters the small valley from the cold North wind making Tertsa one of the warmest places in Greece.
Tertsa Retreat center – is a 5 minute walk from the village and the beach. A place created with mindfulness and care for nature. A place of healing, banana trees, sun, sea and peace… We are happy to offer you an opportunity to step out of the day to day world and live in pristine nature while you dive deeply into yoga.